It borders with Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, China, Mongolia and North Korea.
- 48 oblasts (provinces)
- 21 republics which enjoy a high degree of autonomy on most issues and which correspond to some of Russia's numerous ethnic minorities
- seven krais (territories)
- seven okrugs (autonomous districts)
- two federal cities Moscow and Saint-Petersburg
- the Jewish Autonomous Oblast
There are lots of islands belonging to Russia: in the Arctic ocean - Novaya Zemlya, the Franz Josef Land, the New Siberian Islands, the Wrangel Island, in the Pacific ocean - the Kurils islands and Sakhalin.
Russia has an extensive coastline of over 37 000 km. along the Arctic and the Pacific oceans as well as the Baltic, the Caspian and the Black Seas. Lots of rivers and lakes. There is an opinion that Russia is covered with snow and ice. No, not at all. The mid-annual temperature is + 5,5° C. Compare with Sweden with +4 °C. The average summer temperature varies from 26 to 32 grades, but extremely high temperature in the south can exceed +50 grades. Extremely low temperatures can be observed in Siberia, Kamchatka and badly populated areas in the north.